Updated Resources for the Follow-up and Implementation of the 2009 Second African Synod
The 2009 Second African Synod took place in Rome on 4-25 October, 2009
on the theme "The Church in Africa in Service to Reconciliation, Justice and Peace.” Some
helpful resources for the follow-up and implementation are as follows:
- Books, Booklets and Magazines
- AMECEA Synod Delegates Workshop: Shaping the Prophetic Voice of the Region. Proceedings of theAMECEA Synodal Delegates Workshop. Nairobi, Kenya. 2-
March, 2009. Nairobi: Privately printed, 2009.
- The Church in Africa in Service to Reconciliation, Justice and
Peace: In Light of the Second Special Assembly for Africa of the Synod of Bishops. The
Proceedings of the 10th Interdisciplinary Theological Session (2008). Nairobi: CUEA Publication, 2008.
- The Church in Africa in Service to Reconciliation, Justice and Peace:
Preparing for the Second African Synod. Harare: African Forum for Catholic Social Teaching (AFCAST), 2009.
- A Commentary on the Lineamenta (“Guidelines”). Synod of Bishops IISpecial Assembly for Africa. The Church in Africa in Service to Reconciliation, Justice and Peace. Prepared by the Justice and Peace Commission. Nairobi: Paulines Publications Africa, 2007. See also the Swahili Version: Ufafanuzi wa Lineamenta. Mkutano wa Pili Maalum wa Sinodi ya Maaskofu wa Afrika. Kanisa Barani Afrika Katika Huduma ya Upatanisho, Haki na Amani. Imetayarishwa na Tume ya Haki na Amani. Nairobi: Paulines
Publications Africa, 2007.
- Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church. Nairobi: Pauline
Publications Africa, 2005.
- “Courage! Get on Your Feet, Continent of Africa.” “Homily of His Holiness
Benedict XVI” and “Message of the Bishops of Africa to the People of God.” Nairobi: Paulines Publications Africa, 2009.
- Healey, Joseph G. “Innovations and New Trends in Small Christian
Communities (SCCs) in Africa Today,” Hekima Review, 40 (May, 2009), 85-100.
- Healey, Joseph. “New Learnings in Animating a Small Christian Communities
(SCCs) Model of Church in Africa Today,” African Christian Studies (CUEA), 24:2 (June, 2008), 7-37.
- Healey, Joseph and Laurenti Magesa. “Making Africa Matter: Previewing the
2009 African Synod,” Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers Website, September, 2009.http://www.maryknollsociety.org/index.php/articles/2-articles/424-preview-2009-second-african-synod
- Henriot, Peter and Dominic Liche. Church in Africa: Relevant and Credible? The Challenge of the Second African Synod. (Lusaka: Jesuit Centre for Theological Reflection, 2008). http://www.jctr.org.zm/downloads/2ndAfricanSynodBook.pdf
- Henriot, Peter. “Hopes for the Second African Synod,” Hakimani e-
Newsletter, September, 2009, 3-4. http://www.jesuithakimani.org/e_news/0909/enews_0909.pdf
- Henriot, Peter. Second African Synod: Zambian Pastoral Implications.
Presentation at Diocese of Monze Pastoral Meeting. 12 May 2009. http://www.jctr.org.zm/Events.html.
- Instrumentum Laboris (“Working Paper”) for Synod of Bishops Second Special Assembly for Africa. The Church in Africa in Service to Reconciliation, Justice andPeace. Vatican City: Liberia Editrice Vaticana, 2009 and Nairobi: Paulines Publications
Africa, 2009. http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/documents/rc_synod_doc_20090319_instrlabor-africa_en.html
- Justice, Reconciliation & Peace. Kenya Lenten Campaign, 2009. Nairobi: KEC
Catholic Justice and Peace Commission, 2009.
- Lineamenta (“Guidelines”) for Synod of Bishops SecondSpecial Assembly
for Africa. The Church in Africa in Service to Reconciliation, Justice and Peace. Nairobi: Paulines Publications Africa, 2006. http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/documents/rc_synod_doc_20060627_ii-assembly-africa_en.html
- Majawa, Clement. African Christian Reconciliation in the Light of Yao
Traditions. Nairobi: CUEA Press, 2009.
- Mejia, Rodrigo. We are the Church: Sharing in Small Christian Communities
Nairobi: Paulines Publications Africa, 2009.
- Message to the People of God
Final List of  Propositions
of the Synod of Bishops SecondSpecial Assembly for Africa. The Church in Africa in Service toReconciliation, Justice and Peace. Synodus Episcoporum Bulletin. October, 2009.
- Proceedings of the 16th AMECEA Plenary Assembly on “Reconciliation
Through Justice and Peace.” Lusaka, Zambia from 27 June to 7 July, 2008. Nairobi: Privately printed, 2008.
- Rodriguez, Carlos. “The Second African Synod: Seeking Reconciliation
Peace for the Continent,” Leadership, July, 2009, 10-13.
- “Small Christian Communities (SCCs) in the “Final List of  Propositions” of
the Synod of Bishops SecondSpecial Assembly for Africa.” “Timeline in the History and
Development of Small Christian Communities (SCCs) in Africa Especially Eastern Africa.” 23
October, 2009. http://www.smallchristiancommunities.org/africa/africa-continent/107-timeline-in-the-history-and-development-of-small-christian-communities-sccs-in-africa-especially-eastern-africa.html
- Special Issue of Hakimani: Jesuit Journal of Social Justice in Eastern
Africa, 05/09 (January to June, 2009) on “Promoting Themes of the 2nd African Synod.” Contains nine special articles on the synod including: Joseph Healey, “Small
Christian Communities (SCCs) Promote Themes of 2009 Second African Synod” (4-11);
Ignatus Ikunza, Overcoming Violence: Complexity, Complacency, or Complicity? A
Reflection on Our Collective Response to Human Catastrophe” (12-32); C.A. Mumma
Martinon, “Women in Conflict Management” (33-39); Joseph Wandera, “Xenophobic
Conflict in Africa: Ethical Implications (40-47); and Andrew Omona David, “Northern
Uganda Peace Process: Why Parties Involved Have Failed To Reach a Compromise” (61-69).
- Special post-synod issues of Hakimani, Hekima Review, Maryknoll Fathers &
Brothers Africa Region Newsletter, National Mirror, New People, Seed, Wellspring of Love and Voice. 2009 and 2010.
- “Statement (Position Paper) from Bishops of the Association of Member Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa (AMECEA) Who Are Delegates to the Synod
of Bishops’ Second Special Assembly for Africa in Rome in October, 2009. Nairobi: Unpublished Paper, 29 September, 2009. 5 pages. Published by the Catholic Information Service for Africa (CISA) Email News Bulletin. Issue No. 096, Tuesday, September 29, 2009.
- Summary of the Instrumentum Laboris 2009. Synod of Bishops
IISpecial Assembly for Africa. The Church in Africa in Service to Reconciliation, Justice and Peace. Compiled by Paulino Mondo and John Webootsa. Prepared by the Justice and Peace Holy Trinity Kariobangi Catholic Parish. Nairobi: Privately Printed, 2009.
- Thesing, Ken. “Promoting Restorative Justice in Africa,” Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers Africa Region Newsletter, June, 2009, 6-7. http://www.maryknollafrica.org/newsletter/Maryknoll_Africa_2009_June.pdf
- Towards Healing and Transformation. Kenya Lenten Campaign, 2010. Nairobi: KEC Catholic Justice and Peace Commission, 2010.
- “Towards the 2nd Africa Synod.” Position Paper of IMBISA (Inter-Regional
Meeting of the Bishops of Southern Africa) on the 2009 Synod of Bishops SecondSpecial Assembly for Africa. Harare: Privately Printed 2009.
- Wijsen, Frans, Peter Henriot and Rodrigo Mejia, editors. The Pastoral Circle
Revisited: A Critical Quest for Truth and Transformation (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2005 and Nairobi: Paulines Publications Africa, 2006).
- Links to Websites
- African Faith and Justice Network (AFJN): www.afjn.org
- African Forum for Catholic Social Teaching: www.afcast.org.zw
- AMECEA: http://www.amecea.org
- Catholic Information Service for Africa (CISA): http://www.cisanewsafrica.org
- Google Search Engine: www.google.com
- Jesuit Center for Theological Reflection (JCTR): www.jctr.org.zm
- Jesuit Hakimani Centre: www.jesuithakimani.org
- Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers Africa Region: http://www.maryknollafrica.org
- Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns (MOGC): www.maryknollogc.org/togetherwithafricacelebratinghope.html See special section on “Together with Africa: Celebrating Hope”
- People for Peace in Africa: http://www.peopleforpeaceafrica.org
- SECAM/SCEAM: http://www.sceam-secam.org
- SEDOS: http://www.sedosmission.org
- Small Christian Communities Global Collaborative Website: www.smallchristiancommunities.org
- Vatican: http://www.vatican.va
- Vatican Information Service: http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/vis/vis_en.html
- Vatican Radio: http://www.radiovaticana.org
- Vatican Roman Curia Synod of Bishops: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/index.htm
- Yes Africa Matters (sponsored by the Catholic Task Force on Africa --CTFA): http://sites.google.com/site/yesafricamattersorg
- ZENIT: http://www.zenit.org
25 November, 2009